Bhubesi Pride assembles highly qualified teams of coaching staff to drive through Africa on annual six-month expeditions, supporting rugby and community development in schools and communities in ten African countries.
We align our initiative alongside supporting NGOs, national rugby unions, government departments, British & International schools and appropriate partner organisations, bringing added value to relationship and capacity building.
Work is ongoing and will continue until at least 2014 as part of a long-term, sustainable programme. Contributing to 3 of the UN’s 8 Millennium Development Goals and working in the UK, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa, our objectives are as follows:
- UNITE African children through sport (boys and girls), addressing health education and life skills
- EMPOWER local teaching staff (male and female), providing equipment, resources, training and knowledge
- INSPIRE sustainable development through the establishment and development of long-term, international school links
- Mass participation rugby coaching programme in schools in ten African countries
- Enjoyable, fun sessions backed up by the values of the game
- Life skills and social education incorporated into coaching sessions, complementing local curricula
- Local staff actively involved in the delivery of all sessions
- Provision of appropriate resources enabling teachers and coaches to plan, deliver and review coaching and education programmes
- Professional development of individual staff, offering relevant qualifications
- Plans ongoing exploring the implementation of varying training and enterprise initiatives for the future
- Support the establishment and development of long-term, meaningful and sustainable international school links
- With school Link Coordinators in place, British and African pupils and staff to learn about different cultures, appreciating diversity and striving for a more balanced situation, leading to various [development] projects
- Opportunity for individuals and groups from schools, sports clubs, businesses… to visit Africa and share skills, knowledge and resources
Bhubesi Pride’s objectives support and contribute to three of the UN’s eight Millennium Development Goals:
- Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
- Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
- Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
Why ‘Bhubesi Pride’?
You tell us… Contact the Pride to find out more and to get involved in supporting any aspect of our work!
“Sport has the power to change the world, the power to inspire, the power to unite people in a way that little else can.”