Our annual ‘Rugby in Africa’ (RiA) expedition runs for five months, from January to June. During this time we visit nine African countries, travelling by road, and we work with thousands of children and hundreds of local staff. This is followed by our ‘Southern Africa Rugby Explorer’ (SARE) expedition, enabling the charity to carry out extended project work through to September.
You can apply to be part of our international team (or Pride) of volunteers for anything from 3 weeks or more, joining us at any stage of our journey.
We look for volunteers (or Pride members) who are:
- Passionate about the difference rugby can make in communities and the lives of others, especially children
- Excited about the challenge of working and living in different countries, each with its own distinct culture
- Independent thinkers and who are also strong team players, able to work together with others to achieve common goals
- Over the age of 18 when joining the team in Africa
While volunteering with us, you will have the opportunity to take part in the following activities:
- Prepare and deliver rugby sessions, from grassroots to national level, developing your coaching and leadership skills
- Empower local teaching staff and run coach education seminars
- Work together with our extensive network of stakeholders to prepare and manage rugby festivals and tournament days
- Experience Africa first-hand as we travel from country to country; its people, landscapes, culture and history
We charge a volunteer fee based on the length of time you plan to spend with us. Thanks to strong relationships with corporate partners and grant donors, Bhubesi Pride Foundation is able to heavily subsidise these fees, making the opportunity more affordable for people who really want to participate and contribute to the charity’s goals.
Details of what’s included and excluded are outlined below.
Your volunteer fee includes:
- Meals and bottled water
- Program management and logistics
- Sponsored core teamwear*
- Coaching kit and resources
- Project related travel within Africa
*Additional teamwear options available
The volunteer fee excludes flights, travel insurance, visas and travel medication.
Volunteer fees for our Rugby in Africa expedition (January – June) are as follows:
- 4 weeks (1 month): GBP £1,525
- 8 weeks: GBP £2,800
- 12 weeks: GBP £3,850
- 5 months: GBP £5,595
Volunteer fees for our Southern Africa Rugby Explorer expedition (July – September) are as follows:
- 3 weeks: GBP £1,200
- 5 weeks: GBP £1,850
- 11 weeks: GBP £3,600
We encourage all volunteers we select to engage in fundraising activities and to seek out sponsorship to cover part, or all, of the volunteer fee. This reduces the financial cost to you (the volunteer) and also raises great awareness for the charity and the work we do.
The first step in the application process is to complete our online application form. This should take you no longer than 30 minutes to complete. We operate a rolling application and selection process. You’ll know within one week if your application will progress to the next stage, and in less than one month if you’re to be offered an expedition place with Bhubesi Pride Foundation.
NOTE: If selected to join ‘the Pride’, you have the option to pay your volunteer fees in manageable instalments in the lead up to your departure (paying the total amount upfront is not expected).