Our annual expeditions run for five months, between January and July. During this time we visit nine African countries, travelling by road, and we work with thousands of children and hundreds of local staff.
You can apply to be part of our international team of volunteers for anything from 3 weeks to the full five month project, joining us at any stage of our journey.
We look for volunteers who are:
- Passionate about the difference rugby can make in communities and the lives of others, especially children
- Excited about the challenge of working and living in different countries, each with its own distinct culture
- Independent thinkers and who are also strong team players, able to work together with others to achieve common goals
- Over the age of 18 when joining the team in Africa
While volunteering with us, you will have the opportunity to take part in the following activities:
- Prepare and deliver rugby sessions, from grassroots to national level, developing your coaching and leadership skills
- Empower local teaching staff and run coach education seminars
- Work together with our extensive network of stakeholders to prepare and manage rugby festivals and tournament days
- Experience Africa first-hand as we travel from country to country; its people, landscapes, culture and history
We charge a volunteer fee based on the length of time you plan to spend with us. Bhubesi Pride Foundation – thanks to strong relationships with corporate partners and grant donors – is able to heavily subsidise these fees, making the opportunity more affordable for people who really want to contribute to the charity’s goals.
Details of what’s included and excluded are outlined below.
Your volunteer fee includes:
- Food and water
- Initial training
- Programme management and logistics
- Coaching kit and teamwear
- Project related travel within Africa
The fee excludes flights, travel insurance, visas and travel medication.
Volunteer fees are as follows:
1 month (4 weeks): GBP £1,350
2 months: GBP £2,500
3 months: GBP £3,550
Full 5 month expedition: GBP £4,995
We encourage all volunteers to engage in fundraising activities and to seek out sponsorship to cover part, or all, of this fee. This reduces the financial cost to you (the volunteer) and also raises great awareness for the charity and the work we do.
The first step in the application process is to complete our online application form. This should take you no longer than 30 minutes to complete. We operate a rolling application and selection process. You’ll know within one week if your application will progress to the next stage, and in less than one month if you’re offered an expedition place with Bhubesi Pride Foundation.