Awakening the spirit of rugby in Africa
Bhubesi Pride is working in partnership with the South African Rugby Legends Association [SARLA] to support community and rugby development in Africa.
We’re introducing and developing Vuka Rugby – a sustainable league – at partner schools and communities engaging children, teachers and local staff. The aim of the league is to encourage motivated teachers to inspire children to get involved in extra-curricular activities, delivering valuable life skills alongside coaching sessions.
The Rugby coaching mission continues…
Bhubesi Pride works closely with national rugby unions, government departments and NGOs in each African country and our coaching teams continue to deliver meaningful rugby coaching clinics at partner schools and communities, whilst developing suitable programmes that are sustainable, appropriate and sensitive to each community.
Using an active, purposeful, enjoyable and safe framework, our dedicated teams work with local staff ['buddy coaches'] to ensure clinics are carried out as follows:
- Children [or players] introduced to core skills
- Coaches and players operate in a constructive ratio of 1:10
- Up to 5 sessions per day during each week-long Bhubesi Pride visit
- Players aged 10 – 15 (boys and girls) take part, receiving repeat coaching
- Life skills and rugby’s values incorporated into sessions
- School visits culminate in refereed competitive games and tournaments
Vuka Rugby | A Sustainable Programme
“It is Vuka Rugby’s goal to empower the players, coaches and schools with the ability to be self sufficient and self reliant.”
Adapting the structure of Vuka Rugby’s league, Bhubesi Pride will work closely with key staff in each community, implementing and developing a year-round rugby programme, expanding schools’ local fixtures, incorporating the following five pillars:
- Pillar 1 | Coach education: Local staff achieve accredited qualifications
- Pillar 2 | Mass participation: Boys and girls take part in Vuka Rugby league
- Pillar 3 | Vuka Rugby Tournament: Adapted to suit each community
- Pillar 4 | Elite level rugby: Selected players receive specialist coaching*
- Pillar 5 | Cool Play: Life skills taught throughout the Vuka Rugby year
Ruck & Jol Days | Community Involvement
Building on the success of introducing and developing rugby and its values with players and local staff in schools in ten African countries, we’re reaching out to the wider community in each African region, and beyond, to maximise involvement.
We welcome local and international businesses, the media and school committees to sponsor, promote and organise festival-type events. Schools and sports clubs from all over the world are also welcome to join in, with a view to contributing to building a greater sense of community and targeting specific projects which would benefit local schools and the surrounding area.
Provision of Equipment and Resources
To help sustain programmes, we strive to annually provide each partner school with the following equipment:
- 4 x rugby balls
- 30 x coloured bibs
- 50 x cones
- 1 x ball inflator
And local coaching staff at each partner school receive:
- Educational coaching resources [printed and electronic]
- 4 x whistles
- 4 x referee jerseys
*Planned in association with SARLA and partnering African communities (arranged as and when elite level coaches are available)
In Partnership: Bhubesi Pride | SARLA & Vuka Rugby